Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Dak Prescott's Lament (For Duane Thomas)



“If the Super Bowl is the ultimate game, how come there is another one next year?” 

― Duane Thomas, former Dallas Cowboys running back, who took a vow of silence in 1971-'72 after calling General Manager Tex Schramm "sick, demented and dishonest," with much media uproar, then helped his team to win its first Super Bowl, and was promptly traded to the San Diego Chargers for basically nothing, and was out of football shortly thereafter. The statement above is what he said, softly, after the end of his silent vow in the locker room after Dallas beat the Miami Dolphins 24-3 in 1972. P.S. President Richard Nixon drew up a play for the Dolphins, a simplistic inside slant, which also got a lot of media attention that year. When the Dolphins actually ran it, the Doomsday Defense blew it up. Hunter S. Thompson wrote about this extensively, although he failed to make it to the actual game, apparently, for reasons fans of "The Duke" can easily guess.


I have two knees
and both are still intact
Jerry Jones will fire me unless
I fail to act
Getting tackled is inconvenient
it hurts with every impact
But I'm from Mississippi
and brothers still live in fear
Maybe I'll move on to another team
after my rookie contract year expires
Things is getting way too weird
to be anywhere around here
Yet there is a hero in me
all everyone can see
so after the bye week
I will consider and address
this fateful portico of the national complex
because only Dak Prescott knows
what Dak Prescott will do next
~
This poem is not the property
 of the National Football League
 and can be re-broadcast
 at any time in the form of a share.
 You don't need my express written permission,
 and I seriously doubt if anyone
 is going to turn it into a video
 to play with your friends
 at home,
 in prison,
 at the bar,
 or otherwise.
However,
if you do watch football
more than three hours
each week,
consult your physician
for fatigue,
anxiety,
suicidal thoughts,
or,
mysterious voices
in your heads
to buy a Ford truck,
drink excessively,
or to head-butt
your soon-to-be,
X-wife.
Please think
responsibly,
God bless
the NFL,
Amen,
women, too,
sorry,
because the lights are going off
since the party is over
since you can't even
tell it like it is,
and the Gipper is dead,
and Gifford lost his head,
and O.J. Simpson
keeps selling books
for every little thing
he says

~

And when I shook awake
from my Jerry Jones dream,
sucked out of his "glory hole,"
I heard a thousand screams,
of hanged men, 
in burning Mississippi. 

They were ghosts 
standing in a row 
at the forty-five yard line 
and they were calling to me, 
whispering, how long? How long? 

But then the whistle blew 
and into Roman warfare I flew 
wearing beautiful uniforms, 
one team grey, 
and another, 
battle-dressed in blue

Douglas McDaniel was a lifetime Dallas Cowboys fan since 1969. No more. Jerry Jones is simply evil more than good, and now I thank my brother, Scott, for making that call a long, long time ago.



P.P.S. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."


###

No comments:

Post a Comment